I am a SEO Manager at Wayfair responsible for growing organic traffic, revenue, and keyword rankings.
I have worked in both agency and in-house digital marketing environments and my experiences touch the areas below:
- Keyword research
- Link building
- Competitive analysis
- Content marketing
- Content strategy
- SEO copywriting
- Technical SEO
- Editorial planning
- Conversion rate optimization
- Digital PR
- Social monitoring
Every career move I make in the next 5 years has the 3 goals above in mind. Effective communication is something I value tremendously and am always trying to improve.
I enjoy CrossFit in my free time and have come to learn the best CrossFit athletes perform the best on average throughout a handful of tasks. Another way to look at it – if asked to do 20 different workouts using various movements that require different skills, the best athlete is going to perform best on average across the 20 workouts. He/she is a “consistent generalist.” I’d like to follow that similar ideology to be a well-rounded marketer.
Lastly, I will start pursuing an MBA in 3-5 years. During my undergrad, I loved taking classes. I was always the one strategizing on classes for the following semester the night the new schedule came out. I want a chance for that feeling again. To walk through a campus, sit in a classroom, learn from a professor, study in the library, etc.
Core Values & Beliefs
As I grow and am in pursuit of my goals, I realized that outlining core values would also help me stay focused and clear:
- Thoughtful: every approach, every decision, every engagement will show careful consideration and attention. That said, I am never afraid to move quickly when needed.
- Positive: Playing hockey throughout high school and college, I learned that positive people were extremely fun to be around. I want to strive for positivity no matter how challenging or problematic a situation might be.
- Encouraged: My father was tremendous at surrounding me with people who encouraged me (hockey coaches, writing tutors, strength and conditioning trainers, etc). Thanks Pops! I saw the value it had on my personal development so I am on a mission to continue to be encouraged by others as well as encourage the people I meet.
- Aware: I value the ability to see a situation for what it is regardless of whether it is positive or negative.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed learning more about me.
Follow me on Twitter to not miss a blog post (I tend to write/tweet about marketing, SEO, career development, and CrossFit).
You can also email me: brendanjcottam [at] gmail [dot] com